Each Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Section discussion list is a forum for the exchange of points of view. Opinions expressed on a Section discussion list do not necessarily represent the views of that Section or of AALS.
Access to AALS Section discussion lists is provided free of charge but is limited to faculty and administrators at member and fee-paid law schools as well as associate members of Sections. Accessing or posting on a Section discussion list does not create a professional services relationship or any other relationship with AALS.
Acceptable Use Policy
All information, data, text, software, graphics, video, messages or other materials (“Content”) posted on AALS Section discussion list are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. This means that you, and not AALS or its discussion list contractor, are entirely responsible for all the Content that you upload, post, transmit or otherwise make available via a Section discussion list.
AALS and its representatives do not regularly monitor or control the Content posted on Section discussion lists and, as such, do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.
By using AALS Section discussion lists, you agree not to engage in unacceptable use of the discussion lists which includes, without limitation, use of the discussion lists to:
- Upload, post or transmit any Content that is unlawful, false or misleading, grossly offensive, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially or ethnically insensitive;
- Collect, use, or store any personally identifiable information about other discussion list users without their consent;
- Impersonate any person or entity (including a discussion list user, or moderator), or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Upload, post, or transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, with the exception of notices about the availability of law school positions;
- Upload, post, or transmit any Content that infringes or violates any party’s copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other proprietary right; or use or distribute third-party information (whether or not protected as a trade secret) in violation of a duty of confidentiality, fiduciary duty, or similar duty;
- Upload, post, or transmit any material that contains a software virus or any other computer code, file, or program designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- Upload, post, or transmit any messages that encourage members to agree on prices, terms of sale, salaries, profits, profit margins, or decisions to deal with other schools, businesses, or professional associations, that could potentially raise risk to AALS of antitrust liability;
- Violate any law (whether local, state, or federal);
- Forge headers or otherwise intentionally disguise the origin of any Content or communication; interfere with or disrupt the Section discussion lists, or servers or networks connected to the discussion lists; or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies, or regulations of networks connected to the discussion lists;
- Upload, post, or transmit any Content related to partisan political campaigning or fundraising;
- Falsely express or imply that any statements you make are endorsed by AALS or an AALS Section;
- Sublicense, sell, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or purport to sublicense or sell any portion of the discussion lists;
- Obtain, copy, monitor, index or data mine through the use of a robot, spider, any automated device, or any manual process, the Section discussion lists or their Content (except routine copying and pasting of information being shared in the Content in a manner consistent with its purpose, as expressly permitted by AALS);
- Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in the discussion lists or on any Content;
- Engage in any other activity in conflict with the spirit or intent of this agreement or that might violate the rights of others or give rise to liability, in the sole discretion of AALS.
Limitation of Liability and Use
The Section discussion lists are provided on an “as is” basis, and AALS makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. AALS assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the Content of the Section discussion lists nor for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger, or inaccuracy contained in any information within the discussion lists or accessed through the discussion lists. AALS also does not warrant that the functions or informational materials contained in or accessed or downloaded through Section discussion lists are free of computer viruses or other harmful components. In addition, AALS does not have a duty to update information contained in Section discussion lists, and we are not liable for any failure to update such information. AALS disclaims any warranty that the service will be uninterrupted, secure or error free. AALS makes no warranty or representation regarding the confidentiality of any communication or information transmitted on these discussion lists or any web sites linked to the discussion lists, and neither AALS nor any other providers of products or services related to the discussion lists are responsible for any damages that may arise from disclosure of such information. AALS makes no representation that information Content provided on Section discussion lists is applicable or appropriate for use in locations outside the United States. You agree to comply with all applicable laws and local rules regarding the transmission of technical data, acceptable contents and online conduct.